Pittsburgh Business Law Attorneys
40+ Years of Experience to Tailor a Personalized Legal Strategy for Your Business
James M. Herb & Associates has been serving the Pittsburgh area for more than 40 years. We have specific experience with business law, including helping clients form corporations, draft buy-sell agreements, develop business succession plans, and handle contract disputes. Our practice is geared towards personalized and individualized representation, especially in the case of business matters. We will sit down with you to tailor a legal strategy unique to your business and situation. Our Pittsburgh business lawyers will lay out all your potential options to enable you to make the best decision for your business.
What Business Law Services Do James M. Herb & Associates Offer?
The Pittsburgh business lawyers at James M. Herb & Associates provide a full range of business and commercial legal services. Whether you are a brand-new startup or a large corporation, we can help you with the legal side of your business, such as:
- Buy-Sell Agreements (“Business Purchase and Sale Agreements”): If you are buying or selling a business, then ensuring that the agreement is properly structured is extremely important. James M. Herb & Associates can assist you in drafting a strong buy-sell agreement.
- Business Succession Planning: You have worked hard your entire life to build your business, but you may reach a point when it’s time to start considering who will take control of your business once you step away from the day-to-day operations. You have spent countless hours growing your business and the thought of stepping away can be an incredibly difficult decision. Our attorneys are here to help you properly structure an agreement that accomplishes your goals on your terms. Let us help you develop a business succession plan today.
- Contract Drafting: A well-drafted contract can minimize the risk of litigation and increase your odds of prevailing in business litigation. James M. Herb & Associates can assist in drafting a strong and favorable contract.
- Breach of Contract: At some point or another, your business may find itself in a breach of contract dispute, whether you are the plaintiff or the defendant. If your business is in a contract dispute, trust our experienced business attorneys to represent you.
- Business Litigation: If you’re in business long enough, you are likely to have to prosecute or defend a lawsuit. Our firm can represent you in a wide array of business litigation services such as business torts, shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, contract disputes, derivative shareholder lawsuits, unfair trade practice claims, construction disputes, commercial real estate disputes, and much more.
- Business Dissolution: If you intend to wind down your business, you must properly dissolve your corporation to stop paying taxes and fees to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Properly dissolving your business can also limit the window of potential liability for your business in certain situations. To ensure that your business is properly dissolved, let James M. Herb & Associates help.
How Pennsylvania Business Lawyers Can Help with Business Formation
One specific area of business law we have significant experience in is business formation. Many important legal concerns may arise in the business formation process, such as personal liability, financial rights, tax implications, management rights, and other considerations.
There are two critical steps to business formation that our lawyers will guide you through: 1) selecting the right business entity type for your situation, and 2) drafting a governing business agreement. Note that Pennsylvania recognizes many different types of businesses, and you should select one of the following categories for your business:
- Limited Liability Companies (“LLCs”)
- General Partnerships
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships (“LLPs”)
- Business Trusts
- Sole Proprietorships
After selecting the type of business you are forming, you should proceed to the drafting of a governing agreement, such as a:
- shareholder agreement (corporations);
- operating agreement (LLCs);
- partnership agreement.
Whether you are a start-up or an established business, the business lawyers at James M. Herb & Associates are here to assist you with all your legal needs, from business formation to business dissolution. We will work together with you to customize a legal strategy best suited to your situation and lay out all your legal options so you can make confident and informed decisions.